Nikki Usher, Ph.D.
Welcome! I study how news is changing in the digital and platform era. My research, teaching, and commentary focuses on the myriad challenges and opportunities facing the future of journalism in a democracy. Some key areas of inquiry include:
- trust, partisanship, and polarization in journalism
- news innovation and news business models
- data journalism, open source, and transparency
- social media, including misinformation, user-generated content, and algorithmic accountability
- political journalism and political communication
I'm the author of two books, Making News at the New York Times, and Interactive Journalism: Hackers, Data, and Code, and a co-editor of the Oxford University Press book series, "Political Communication and Journalism Unbound." Currently, I am an associate professor at The George Washington University's School of Media and Public Affairs and a visiting associate professor at the University of Illinois' College of Media.