My experience in journalism gives me a deep respect for the people and organizations I study. Even now, I am blogging for The Nieman Journalism Lab, the Harvard run blog on the future of journalism, and blogged previously for the Online Journalism Review as a columnist, taking up academic research and questions and making this work accessible to an audience of journalists.
Philadelphia Inquirer, Reporter, 2004-2005
- Covered five-county region of Southern New Jersey for Sports Section
- Lead tennis writer for Advanta International Tennis tournament, with stories on then No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo and other top-ranked stars
- Had two front page stories on girls’ high school sports: field hockey and soccer injuries; led Sports section multiple times with coverage of Title IX, girls’ swimming, developments in turf technology
Los Angeles Times, California Desk Intern, Summer 2004
- Covered forest-fires, drive-by shootings, urban development issues and courts
Chicago Tribune, Metro Desk Intern, Winter 2004
- Covered urban affairs and gay and lesbian issues, wrote stories about immigration in Chicago and wrote obituaries for Iraq War soldiers
New Orleans Times-Picayune, City Desk Intern, Summer 2003
- Covered police, courts, and city hall, wrote in-depth reporting piece on youth homelessness in the city
The Dallas Morning News, National Desk Intern, Summer 2002
- Wrote national stories on post-9/11 policy; front page story on e-coli breakout
Editor, Let’s Go: Washington, D.C., 2002, St. Martin’s Press
- Oversaw team of 3 research-writers for 300+ page book in best-selling travel guide series. Wrote “Life in DC” chapter.
The Boston Globe, State House Intern Co-op, Fall 2001
- Covered state budget crisis, assisted in post-9/11 reporting
The Harvard Crimson, Senior News Editor, 2002-2003
- Coordinated daily coverage twice a week, edited three shifts a week, mentored young reporters, created arts-news beat
Hotline, Institute of Politics Fellow Intern, Summer 2000
- Covered House races and monitored national and local news coverage for online site. Assisted in partnership with ABC for Republican National Convention.
The Harvard Crimson, reporter, 1999-2002
- Admissions and financial aid beat, Arts Criticism and coverage
Additional freelance articles in Online Journalism Review (current contributor), Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Tribune’s Red Eye (columns), Windy City Times (Chicago, IL), Philadelphia Gay News